Friday, August 26, 2011

End of my First Week of Teaching

Hey yall, it has been one week since I have been teaching on my own now. I feel pretty confident that everything is going very well. Even when I was still in training my co-teachers and the person who is in charge were surprised how well I was able to jump in and teach well. I have experience with working with younger kids and so that gives me a bit of an advantage. I have also heard from some of the other teachers that when they first started, there was always someone watching their classes but so far in this last week my classes have only been watched a couple times.

Here in Korea they are all about discipline, so I have to discipline my children. It’s nothing really bad but if they get in trouble a couple times I would either have them stand in front of their chairs or stand in the corner with their hands up. And those aren’t even the worse of them. If they keep acting up I would send them to the principal and he will discipline them much more than I would. But that is just how Korean culture is. It is much different from the states. In the states, to even put a child in the corner with their hands up, I would get in trouble.

So about the classes I teach, I have a class of kindergarteners that are about 4 or 5 years old (and I think that is their Korean age). There are four of them, one girl and three boys. So far they are my favorite class. They are able to speak in English a lot better than some of my older kids and they are able comprehend a lot better too. I have one class of 1st graders, two classes of 2nd graders, and two classes of 3rd graders. And then I have a class of 6th graders, but they use a different program then my other classes. With the MeySen program, we teach children English through songs, poems, and stories. So I have been singing a lot since I have gotten here but it is fun.

The week has been very tiring but once I start to get used to teaching and all I will most likely be less tired as the week’s end. That’s all for know. I will post again soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment