Friday, November 25, 2011

Thanksgiving!!!

So I successfully survived my first major holiday here in Korea. It was my first Thanksgiving away from my mom. It didn't really feel like thanksgiving during the first part of the day. I went to school in the morning and did my daily routine with the kids. A week before I made hand turkey's with my little kindergarten kids and had them decorated in the class room. But other than those hand turkey's, it did not feel like Thanksgiving.

Normally at home, I would wake up in the morning and my mom would have already started making our feast. I would prepare the candies yams and a vegetable dish that we always eat, and have them ready to go in the oven when the turkey is done.

The American teachers at my school and then one of the Korean teachers and the Chinese teacher decided to have our own little Thanksgiving dinner on the night of Thanksgiving. We each decided to bring a couple dishes to make a large feast. At the foreign food market in Itaewon, I purchase a couple boxes of Stove Top's turkey stuffing and when I made it, I added some mushrooms and celery. I also made some pumpkin pie and I attempted to make candied yams. They do not have cans of yams here but they do have Korean sweet potatoes, which I find to be sweeter than the sweet potatoes I have had in the states. I was also able to find marshmallows at Costco. It did not taste the same, but it was still very good.

Everyone brought lots of food and it was all very delicious. We did not have any turkey though. It is very hard to find turkey in Korea, so instead we had chicken. It was still very good. I was in a food coma by the end of the night.

YUM!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment