Monday, August 8, 2011

Finally Made It

I have finally made it to Korea. It took me a while to get here but I finally made it! I have already had a very busy first 24 hours here. I was picked up from the airport by my director who took my to one of my co-teachers apartment, where I will be staying for a couple weeks.

We went out to dinner near by and had Gogi Gui, or Korean BBQ, where we barbecue the meet at the table. We then wrap the meet in lettuce and other side dishes. After it has been wrapped up, you stuff it in your mouth. It is an interesting experience. We also had some rice and a soup/stew dish that was red in color, aka spicy, with clams, a crab leg, and some random vegetables.

It was around 9:30pm when we got back to the apartment and an hour later I was able to fall asleep with no struggle. I was able to get about eight to nine hours of sleep. I have not felt jet lag at all and hopefully it stays that way.

Today I was able to meet a friend, from the states, in Seoul. She has been in Japan for the past month and was visiting Korea for a couple days. I met her in Namdaemun Market and we basically just walked around for a couple hours exploring. It is a very large market and had a lot of different items. I wanted to take a couple photos but then realized my camera battery was dead, so I ended up having to take photos with my iTouch.

As a Washingtonian I had never used an umbrella when it rained. I even swore I wouldn't use one here. Well there is a difference between the rain here in Korea and the rain in Washington. When it rains in Washington, it usually just starts out as a sprinkle then it may pour but eventually stops moments later. Being in Korea at the end of Monsoon season, as soon as it starts to rain it is pouring constantly. Not only is it raining it is also very humid out. So most Koreans are wearing flip flops, shorts and a t-shirt while walking around with an umbrella. Not only is it the end of monsoon season, but we have also been affected by Typhoon Muifa which has been going through the Yellow Sea to the west or Korea. So when I went to Seoul I used an umbrella while walking around.

So that's all for now. I start my training tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment