Wednesday, July 4, 2012

4th of July in Korea!

This has been an interesting 4th of July. It of course does not feel like the 4th of July. I haven't heard loud fireworks outside of my window at 3 o'clock in the morning. I also don't see the America flag every where I turn. It has just been very strange. I am getting home sick and so I am starting to miss those things.

On Saturday, June 30, one of my co-teachers had a 4th of July Party. It was fun, but it wasn't the typical 4th of July party from home. Mainly because of the food. I had made my grandmothers recipe for potato salad, which is typical 4th of July food, but the rest of the food was Korean food. Some of our Korean co-teachers came so they brought Korean food. I also made some cherry and blueberry mini pies/tarts. The top part of the crust was a star, so they were cute. Also, the co-teacher hosting the party, carved a shark out of a watermelon. It was very cute. We played games and talked unto 4 am. It was fun.

Star Spangled Mini Pies
The Shark ate all the watermelon
Then today, at school, I had decorated my classroom with red,white and blue everywhere. I even made my students some red, white and blue spiral sugar cookies. They all loved them. We didn't have a party or anything, but it was still fun for the kids to see the decorations and eat some cookies. One of my students just learned perfect and fantastic, so he was calling the cookies perfect and fantastic. It was so cute.


Happy 4th!
 


Next year, I will have a proper 4th of July. I will watch the fireworks and eat picnic food. Happy 4th everyone and stay safe.

No comments:

Post a Comment