Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Day 4 of The JK Epic Adventure: Hongdae

On the fourth day of Jessica visiting me, I took her to Hongdae. Hongdae is a neighborhood in Seoul that is known for its urban arts and indie music culture, clubs and entertainments. We went there for a couple reasons. First, I wanted to show her a different type of Korea; this was they type that young people our age would hang out at, especially because it is near Hongik University. Second, I wanted to take her to two different cafes that were right near each other.

Just one of the many clubs in Hongdae. This one made Jess happy!
First we went to the best cafe ever, the Hello Kitty Cafe. This is the second Hello Kitty Cafe I have visited, the first one was in Taipei, Taiwan. I was super excited to go. I love all things Hello Kitty, and this place was definitely that. Everything was so PINK! Even when I was trying to take pictures in the cafe, it gave the pictures a bit of a pink hue to them. I tried to edit the photos to fix the coloring, but it was difficult. I order an iced latte and Jessica got a waffle. Both of which were decorated with Hello Kitty on them.

HELLO KITTY!
Hello Kitty shaped waffle!
Hello Kitty cinnamon decoration on top of my latte 
After the Hello Kitty Cafe, we headed up the road about 100 ft, it was very close to the Hello Kitty Cafe, to a Cat Cafe. "What is a Cat Cafe?" you may ask. Well, it is the best thing ever! Basically you either have to purchase something at the cafe or you pay an entrance fee and get a free drink. We paid W8,000 and got a free drink as well. Then, we get to play with cats that are everywhere. I was watching an Eat Your Kimchi video, and they actually went to this place, and I noticed it was near the Hello Kitty Cafe, so I planned for us to go here. This place had about 24 cats wondering all around the cafe. They were all super cute. I am a little allergic to cats, which caused me to have a sneezing attack and itchy eyes after we left, but it was so worth it. I love playing with cats.

A sign just outside, the place was called Catsliving.
Jessica having way too much fun!
Kitty! This cat had really short front legs.

After the cafes, we wondered around Hongdae a bit. There are a lot of place to buy clothes and accessories, so we browsed around for some Engrish shirts. Instead, we found some cute kitty shirts. Then we got some delicious Mexican food and headed back to my town. It was a good thing we left when we did because it started pouting down with rain when we left.

No comments:

Post a Comment